As of March 1, 2019, Alberta Transportation and the Government of Alberta have implemented Mandatory Entry Level Training Programs for Class 1.
This MELT program consists of:
40.5 hours of Classroom Training (air brakes does not apply to these hours)
72.5 hours of In-Yard and Behind the Wheel Training.
Total Training Hours: 113
$9,950.00 (GST included)
The minimum learning or licensing age for a Class 1 vehicle is 18 years. Probationary drivers may not apply for a Class 1 license. The bearer of a Class 1 license may operate any of the following:
* Any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles other than a motorcycle.
The benefits of Class 1 driver training are:
- Reduced risk
- Increased confidence
- Reduced stress levels
- Passing information to family and friends
- Greater awareness of the individual’s responsibility with regard to other road users
- Reduced insurance claims
Prerequisites for the program are as follows:
- Alberta Class 5 (non-GDL) license or higher
- Driver’s medical exam
- Completed air brake course
* The Alberta Air Brake Endorsement course is included at no charge if you take your driver training with Wheels On.
The MELT program consists of 10 Modules:
- Employment in the Trucking Industry
- Vehicle Components and Systems
- Basic Driving Techniques
- Professional Driving Habits
- Off Road Tasks and Maneuvers
- Documents, Paperwork and Regulatory Requirements
- Vehicle Inspection Activities
- Hours of Service Compliance
- Cargo Securement and Loss Prevention
- Handling Emergencies
Please contact Wheels On at 403-343-2799 to inquire or to register.
Hourly refreshment training is available at $120.00 per hour.